|Fasting guidelines are important
to ensure your stomach is empty when you go back for surgery. If
food or stomach acid is regurgitated and then inhaled (aspiration) during
your surgery, you could become very sick and need an extended stay in the
Intensive Care Unit, be placed on a breathing machine or even die.
Our guideline follow the ASA and AANA
recommendations. NPO, a medical abreviation, stands for nothing by
Unless specifically indicated by the surgeon, our guidelines are as follows:
* No solid food after midnight the day before surgery
* Infant formula can be given up to 6 hours before the report time to Same Day Surgery, SDS.
* Breastmilk can be given up to 4 hours before the report time to SDS
* Clear liquids: including water, BLACK coffee, apple, grape or cranberry juice, can be given up to 2 hours before the report time to SDS.
* Do NOT chew gum or tobacco, or smoke cigarettes after midnight the night before your surgery.